Thursday, September 29, 2005

Those Weak of Heart and Mind, Stop Here

Hi,

For some reason, many of the friends I have made in the past five years do not know me. They may think they know me, I may even think they know me, but they don't. I am not sure why. I just haven't been keen on opening myself up to people. I hang out immensely with these people, and we have lots of great and memorable times together, but I find that my entire personality is just what they have physically observed of me. People don't really know my past, what my life is like (other than school/improv), what my relationship with Lindsey is like.

Here is an example that surprised even me: A few months ago I was sitting and eating with a couple of friends who I had known for a good 2 or 3 years. They were particularly good friends who I hung out with on many many occasions. While sitting with them, it became apparent that they really knew almost nothing about my Workshop experience. It was a big realization that they knew nothing of the program, my experiences, or my stories of a year of my life that was probably the single most formative time of my life.

I don't talk to people about my feelings, I hide when I am sad, I try to only put on a neutral to happy face. Maybe a lesson I've learned is that no one likes an unhappy person. When someone asks if I'm OK, I will almost always say fine or good or great, no matter how I feel. I don't believe that people really want to hear anything else.

This is a weird lesson to have learned. I'd like to believe I've learned otherwise, because its not the healthiest outlook to have. I've been through so much sadness in my life. I've experienced intense periods of depression, moments of despair where I was ready and willing to end it all. I learned to beat a lot of those feelings by embracing sadness as a normal feeling (if its OK to be happy, why shouldn't it be OK to be sad?), by talking about how I feel, and by realizing that life is precious. I always give advice to other people to be open and honest with themselves and others. I quote a book I once read (The Prophet, by Kahlil Gibrian) and tell people that we can only be filled with joy as deep as sorrow cuts into us. I am pretty well versed on how to be open about feelings.

In high school, I was perpetually alone and unhappy. But that's high school, right? So then I went on Workshop. I was always around a really great (at times) group of people. We were constantly open with each other, we shared deep things...I met the most important person in my life. I grew, I learned things about myself, I confronted my parents about deeply disliking them, I learned to love again, I made close friends that wil certainly last a lifetime, I became a new and improved Gil. My whole 18 years before that year were all just a long trail of shit that I could wipe away clean.

And yet, here I am, five years down the road, and I find myself hiding my true self. I show half myself. I show almost nothing to anybody. I don't let people in. Sometimes I don't even know if I'm in anymore.

Why is that? Even my great friends from Workshop have grown distant. I hardly talk to them, and when I do its never like it was back then, its the same as it is with anyone else. I've dabbled in opening up a little to people with mixed results. Sometimes I can feel that another person wants me to tell them more, but I still avoid it.

I am feeling number and number. Something needs to change. I need to start feeling again.

6 comments:

Gil said...

As a postscript to this blog entry, please do not populate my comments section with empty sympathetic compliments. Please do not say something like, "But Gil, I always want you to open up to me!" Or "I'm sorry you feel that way, you can talk to me any time." I do appreciate those sentiments, but reading them as a comment to a blog entry is only going to make me feel like I am fishing for compliments.

Additionally, if you are one of my friends who didn't know all this, I hope I haven't scared you away...

And I'm sorry if I've offended anyone.

Anonymous said...

And here I thought you were fishing for nouggies or perhaps even purple nurples. I could oblige you with one or the other but not both.

Unfortunately, Gil, I believe that it is a rare thing to "truly" know a person. Of course, what we think we know about someone has to be based on our observations because we have nothing else to go on. There are sides of each of us that make it to the surface more often than others because those are our social sides. People think I'm all about nouggies and purple nurples but that's only because that's how I express my intense loathing for their smug smiling faces...

Anonymous said...

It's kind of funny (and by funny I mean strange) that you're feeling this right now because I've been doing the same thing lately. I, too, have been feeling horribly distant from everyone. They don't know me and I know I can't be myself with them. And it's been like that pretty much since I've been here in Montreal. I sort of attributed the complete lack of intimacy with other people to getting older or being in university or just not finding people I fit with. But I still feel something is missing and I don't know what it is. I confess I don't know much about your past especially Workshop, but I find it less common here in this place and this stage for people to discover others' histories. I mean, the older we get the longer our histories, right? And the more selective we are with sharing bits and pieces of them. There are many things in my history I don't share with anyone because I don't have anyone to share them with or because they seem somehow inappropriate to be shared. Plus it's hard to figure out when to reveal or when to ask - so many social situations just don't quite call for confessions or revelations. It's more complicated with groups than with one-on-ones. As I have observed, the older people get the more effort it takes to become or stay close with people (and I'm talking many years down the road). And as I struggle with learning other people, I'm still struggling on learning myself. I think a lot of the life in me has died these past few years and maybe that's just growing up. We are all very guarded and maybe that's because we've been hurt so many times before that it's almost easier just not to let yourself be vulnerable to others. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I understand what you're saying because I feel that way as well. But on a positive note, you were always one of the few I feel comfortable around. So, thanks for that.

Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

Anonymous said...

MESSAGE

Anonymous said...

MESSAGE